Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Jess.. making me think


..."just that an overarching desire to not be faced with the vast void of “I Don’t Know” is daunting to the average human mind."

Not knowing is our natural state. This is my first time through life, so it is all new to me. Once I learned to accept that I don't know anything, I can make some guess on what "might happen" based on history. That is all we have.

Mental evolution, evolution of thoughts,concepts, ideas is an important concept that I need to get my mind around, along with being able to live with and in the unknown, and unknown-able. The world coming at me on a daily basis is a power greater than I.To those forces, I must bend, or be broken. I cannot force the world or my body to conform to my desires, wants, or will. I need to accept it will do what it wants. All I can do is to keep junk out of my body's reach, and give it only what it needs. The world is a power greater than I, as is organic chemistry, or hormone chemistry, or chemical addiction, or compulsive urges.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love what you wrote "To those forces, I must bend, or be broken." That speaks to me as a realist way of looking at Step Three's request to turn my will and life over to a power greater than myself. It's self-evident, too. No one could deny that as a living being, each of us is fragile and ephemeral when faced with the most brutal forces of nature around us.

Thanks, Fred. You got me thinking, too. Right now, I need those lit candles of insight you're putting in the window. It feels a long time until dawn, but I find hope and peace that there is a fellowship out there which expresses experience, strength, and hope through secular rationalism.