Sunday, September 9, 2012

Sin and Butter

The concept of sin is a religious concept, in my mind, part of that "comes with" stuff of our culture. It is really a emotionally loaded "handle" for being wrong, but this is my first time through life, so I need to do wrongs, and be able to see the effect, to know it is wrong. Being told it is wrong is just not the same, and if it is minor transgression, is it still wrong in this case. So I just consider sin a religious concept, not a valued one but an outdated one.

Buddha had a better idea, if you find it to be wrong on reflection, deist, and do right, and live up to that new principal, or something like that.

Butter is not pure fat, it contain casein, a protein, that is highly insulinogentic, hence drives fat storage. High insulin is a major issues   as insulin is the primary storage hormone, as in Volek's xy=c curve, x being fat release rate, y the blood insulin concentration.
The physiological part of this disease is real and chemical, biological, but not well accepted nor understood by many. The psychological part, the cravings, the compulsion, the cause of the desire to eat, not so much. We try to describe it as addiction, but that is chemical. We try to overcome it with Schwarts/ or OA, but that too is less than perfect. The best is that we keep trying to overcome it, persistence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, fred, for doing the footwork about butter. When I binged butter, it was classic american salted butter, not ghee (skimmed butter, until it's just the clarified fat). I knew it had butter solids, and I used to know what they were--though I didn't care because I was bingeing on the solids than the clarified fat suspension.

I don't eat butter independent of being "in things"; I don't use margarine because it's carcinogenic (the processing of hydrogenating the oil). Generally, I just try to avoid processed oil and sugar, knowing they end up in there because of how processed food works.

Thank you, again. This explains quite a lot to me, since butter was a hardcore binge food until I used my food plan and the resulting question, "Are these calories worth spending on this?" The answer was, and often still is, no.